Saturday, June 11, 2011

Catchin' up and Jammin'...


Phew. Disney was unbelievable and I can't believe I haven't posted since our trip. It was a whirlwind of fun and magic and it left me simply exhausted but thrilled that we really made magical family memories. Hoping to get back there in a few years to see more of that great world...

Onto summer! I went strawberry picking here in Sussex county, with the local moms group and my daughter. It was stifling-ly hot out there at 10:30am, but we managed to laugh it off and collect some really ripe strawberries! Finished the outing up with fresh icecream for lunch and it made for a great time! We went picking at Green Vally Farm in Wantage, NJ. Beautiful farm with great produce! They even have a very nice selection of organic beef and poultry and a CREAMERY!! My daughter got her new fave, cookie dough and I had my new fave, Jamoca Chip. It was a coffee based ice cream with nuts, coconut and chocolate in it-to. die. for. I'm still dreaming about it!!!

Yesterday, we went to a friend's house (a mom in the moms group) and she taught us how to make freezer jam with our strawberries. Freezer jam is quicker and easier to make than the traditional way of sterilizing the jars, etc. I love this way!!! It was so quick and simple that I went out to the store to gather supplies after we did it at her house and today I made more!! Her method used:
2 pints strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped
4 cups sugar
1 package sure jell
Follow sure-jell instructions for quick set jam

My new method:
2 pints strawberries
2 cups sugar
2 pkgs. knox gelatin
1 pkg. strawberry jello

Mash up strawberries and add 2 cups of sugar. Blend well and let sit for 10 minutes. While you are waiting, mix 3/4 cup water with knox gelatin and jello and bring to a boil. Stir constantly while boiling for one more minute and take off stove to cool. Add to strawberries (after 10 minutes) and stir. Wait 10 more minutes to set. Pour into mason jars and cap. Leave out for 24 hours, then either store in fridge for up to 3 weeks (if you know you will eat it like I will!) or in freezer for one year (makes great gifts!).

I found that my way is more economical (sure jell is pricey) and it set up faster and firmer. Either way works great though!! We made this with blueberries and peach/mangoes too (need to add 1 TBSP lemon juice to peach mango). Each batch makes approx. 4 1-pint jars.
Good summer farm fun!!

No comments: