Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Designer's Block

So I've been designing a jacket for Knitcircus, using Malabrigo Twist yarn and knitting it has been so nice. The yarn is just perfect! It is so soft and is really showing off the stitch pattern the way I wanted it to. The problem that I have been having hasn't at all been with the design or the yarn, but the whole idea that this pattern is not for the beginner knitter. With every part of this design, I have been having the mental thought of, "Uh oh, are knitters going to understand that they have to 'read' the stitches and adjust accordingly?" I know from past patterns that it is so much better to be user-friendly and make things as easy and clear as possible, but does it always have to be this way? What about those knitters who want the challenge of a harder pattern? I am certainly not going to be able to write out line-by line instructions on this one-it would be forever and no one would want the pattern if it is umpteen pages long, right?? So the silly battle goes on in my head....

Hoping it all leaves soon though-I've got summer knitting to catch up on!!

2 comments:

Chandi said...

For sure. I do think some knitters would like the challenge!

yarnygirl said...

I hope so, Chandi!!