Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lye-eee...


Yes, out of all the things I have knit for my daughters, this ratty, holey, yucky looking thing-she-calls-a-blanket is what my youngest loves. I had originally knit this blanket for my oldest when I was pregnant with her. I didn't know who I was having, boy or girl, hence the yellow color of the yarn. I wanted something soft and cushy and came upon this yarn at an LYS in Manchester, Vt. I loved the little bits of yarn on the strand and thought my baby would too. Well, I was right, but not right about which baby would love it. Baby #1 wanted nothing to do with it, but Baby #2 has yet to give it up, named "her" LYe-eeee, and refuses to go to sleep without her. She holds a really ratty corner of Lye-ee, in between her two fingers and thumb and sucks her other thumb. Rubbing this ratty corner while sucking her thumb is what gets her to sleep-it is so adorable to watch and warms my heart everytime I see her do it. At the age of 4, she refuses to give up Lye-ee and I have no intentions of making her do it. I figure when she's ready, she will and she's only going to be a child for so long so why should I force her out of this love???

So, what is it exactly that makes her love this blanket? It started out as a 2X3 rectangle of crochet (I even forget how I did it-it was early on in crochet for me) and I don't even recall the name of the yarn. It was before the days of Ravelry, so I can't even look it up. It is really soft cotton though and right out of the wash, it smells wonderful...after a couple of nights of cuddles with my girl though, and that's another story. She impatiently stands by the washer when Lye-ee gets her bath and I have to pull it out for her when it's nap time. I always thought my firstborn would be my yarn-lover as she is the crafty one right now, but I think it just might be my Lye-ee lover instead...

No comments: