Sunday, March 15, 2009

Instant Gratification!




Ok-I have a guilty pleasure.....BULKY, pills-while-you-knit-it, designer (shocking sticker price) yarn!!! But-only when on sale!! And boy, was it worth it!!!

To back up a little, I spent a glorious day in Milford, PA, taking a finishing class with Jill Deal, of JillDeal, Inc-a very lovely LYS right in the heart of the quaint little town of Milford. I spent my whole day there (while my DARLING HUSBAND watched the girls!-LOVE HIM!) learning great techniques, eating lunch that was provided by the Hotel Fauchere, and chatting it up with some lovely ladies. There were only 4 of us in the class so it felt like a private, all day lesson! Perfect! Then I sauntered over to the shop (the class was held at the Emerson House of the Hotel Fauchere) for some kid yarn that I need for easter shrugs for the girls and that's when I saw it....Twinkle Soft Chunky....in French grey....at a sale price that I just couldn't pass up. There was one left and I snatched it right up! Jill's very sweet employee (wish I could remember her name-she's always so pleasant!) rang me up and then proceeded to wind my skein into a cake the size of Texas! I told the super-nice employee that I was going to leave it as a centerpiece on my kitchen table for awhile...but i lied!!!

It didn't last there for long b/c I couln't wait to knit with it! I found a great pattern online from Jen Reilly at Sage Yarn Blog called "Super-Fast, Ultra Cozy scarf"-need I say more?? The scarf knit up in 1 1/2 hours and really is cozy!! I think I'll be wearing it a lot!!

7 comments:

Kathleen Colligan said...

This class sounds like a good time and something I should try. I am weak in finishing stuff - no sewing skills .
I love ths scarf.. Hope the kids are feeling better and on the mend!

yarnygirl said...

Kathy-you would LOVE the class!! YOu and Nora would love the entire DAY!!!! If you message me on Ravelry with your email, I can forward you JillDeal's newsletter with her upcoming classes-all of which, take place at the Hotel Fauchere, complete with breakfast (of muffins, breads, etc and coffee/tea) and FULL lunch!! It's pricey but soooooo worth it!

Meg said...

gorgeous! what is that stitch? I love it! You are a lucky duck for getting your fingers on some Twinkle yarn - *green!*

Amber said...

I am not afraid to admit my all-out love affair with anything bulky and beyond. I will shout it from the rooftops!

Also, I am offering a FRIENDly reminder that maybe somebody who you recently met who also likes to knit would like to go to one of these classes with you some time... :)

yarnygirl said...

You girls are so funny!! Meg-had I known about Jill Deal's sale earlier, I would've spread the word, I mean $10 for Twinkle??!! Score, right? I literally bought her last bargain skein...:0(
Amber-you are so right! We MUST go to one of these together!! I think the next one that I go to will be on 5/2-it's called something like "Crochet for knitting cowards" and it will teach crochet stitches that can be used for embellishments, felting, etc. to add to the finished quality of the garment. Ya game??

yarnygirl said...

Oh Meg! I forgot-the stitch pattern is so simple: After CO 10 sts, you do the following over and over until you run out of yarn:
K1, *yo, k2tog*, K1 That's it~~cool, no??

Meg said...

thanks for the stitch - it is a keeper for sure - and $10?! cross out the old green and add a new *GREEN*! the class sounds amazing - don't forget your buddy from the CS!