Monday, March 28, 2011

What makes you choose a pattern?




Today I cast on for a sweater coat that I never intended to knit and by the look of it in the book, you'll guess why-it's a bulky knit, slouchy sweater coat. Now, I had intended to knit up Briar Rose Fibers' Robusta cardigan, making the necessary mods like the really nice woman who wore it at Rhinebeck told me to do-just knit it longer to make it like hers. I instantly fell in love with this sweater coat that day and went through their patterns frantically searching for it to purchase-to no avail. I even went back to their tent, later in the day, to see if they re-stocked and to my surprise, the incredibly nice woman there, told me that since they were out of stock on it, she would gladly mail me the pattern-gratis. Gratis?? Whaaat??? What an unbelievably nice and kind and completely unneccessary thing to do? I gave her my mailing address and walked away stunned. Wouldn't you know, a few days later, I got the pattern in the mail-just as promised!! I am still stunned by the above and beyond service, that I've since been told, is the way that really wonderful company runs. How cool, right?

So, imagine my surprise, when I finally went to CO for this cardi, that I debated it over and over. I found myself scanning "Sweater coats" on Ravelry, to see if there was something seamless instead. You see, when I knit for myself, I want the pattern to go smoothly and quickly-no seaming, no sewing in sleeves, if at all possible. The idea of having to knit fronts, back and sleeves and then set them in-while, I know how to do this, it bugs me when I have to-for a pattern for myself. I almost feel guilty knitting something for myself, like I should be knitting for my kids or hubby or gift-knitting instead. I know, completely insane!! I'm going to change this thought and will write more about it in another post. Anyway, I also find that I prefer raglan sleeves for their look-they seem more flattering on me-I think. So, despite the incredibly kind story above and the overwhelming infatuation I had with Robusta back at Rhinebeck, I just wasn't feelin' it anymore.....so I checked out Flicca and Stephanie Japel's Long Coat with Chevron Lace and Stephanie's won. So there...

No comments: